Academic Partnerships and Quality Matters
Working Together for Quality Online Courses
Academic Partnerships signed a subscription agreement with Quality Matters, a leading provider of quality assurance in online learning.
Academic Partnerships (AP) is a higher education service provider that helps university faculty transfer their high quality courses into an engaging and individualized online learning experience for students that results in high completion rates and outstanding student performance. Academic Partnerships can assist you with informal Quality Matters course design reviews and training.
By subscribing to the Quality Matters™ program, the Academic Partnerships team is able to provide a national benchmark for online course design, both during the course design phase and in reviewing existing courses for possible enhancement.Our course review is based on a set of standards called the Quality Matters Rubric, which is used to evaluate the design of online and blended courses. The eight general standards include course overview and introduction, learning objectives (competencies), assessment and measurement, instructional materials, learner interaction and engagement, course technology, learner support and accessibility. When AP team members conduct ‘Course Blueprinting’ sessions with university faculty members and instructional designers, they show how the Quality Matters™ Rubric and other key success factors can guide the development or revision of the online courses to promote student engagement and further student success. AP also conducts comprehensive reviews of each course before its release and provides specific feedback and suggestions to the faculty author of the course.
Introduction to Quality Matters
This podcast from On Teaching Online features Dr. Kay Shattuck who is the Director of Research for Quality Matters. During the podcast Dr. Shattuck discusses the creation of the Quality Matters program, the current framework of Quality Matters, and online course assessment. The podcast can be played by selecting this link. By subscribing to the Quality Matters™ program, the Academic Partnerships team is able to provide partner faculty:
- Development of critical assessment skills for examining online course design
- A national benchmark road map to follow during the process of course development
- Exposure to instructional design and new ideas for improving online courses to improve student learning outcomes and retention
- Support to ensure the development and delivery of quality courses
- Support to ensure the University’s commitment to excellence in teaching
Think you have what it takes to meet the QM standards? Here’s a quick test:
- Is your course easy to navigate from the student’s view point?
- Where is the student’s attention directed to when they enter your course?
- Does your course change over time?
- Are student learning objectives stated clearly?
- Do the tools and media support the learning objectives?
- Does the course demonstrate sensitivity to readability and accessibility issues?