Helpful Strategies and Tips: Welcome Letter
This post is part of the series Helpful Strategies and Tips: Designing an Online Course, which provides guidance through common challenges instructors face during online course development.A welcome letter is one of the first documents that students will see about you and your course. It’s an excellent way to greet your students and introduce yourself to the class. A welcome letter helps to provide a sense of connection between you and the students. Keep the tone of the welcome letter warm and inviting. Your welcome letter can be presented in several different formats:
- A self-introduction letter (linked document)
- A self-introduction discussion (liscussion board)
- A self-introduction video (embedded video)
- Information on how to get started in the course. As stated in QM 1.1: Instructions make clear how to get started and where to find various course components.
- Background academic information
- An image of yourself
- Your teaching philosophy
- Personal hobbies, interests, pets, etc.
- How the students should address you
- Your role in the course