How to Conduct a Successful OER Search with Google
Search Successfully: 6 Simple StepsTo search for OER using Google Advanced Search–
- Search using a key word or phrase as you normally would on Google’s homepage.
- Click Advanced Search at the bottom of your search results page.
- Locate Usage Rights, the last filter under “Narrow your search by…”.
- Select the option that corresponds to the Creative Commons license you need: “free to use or share,” “free to use, share, or modify,” or either with “commercially” added.
- Confirm that you have searched correctly by checking the top of your search results page for a blue box that says “You are searching only…” for whichever option you selected.
- Double-check your findings for a Creative Commons license and/or a statement to the effect on the page before using or modifying the resources you find.
- select by file type, including PDFs, Word or Excel Documents, and web pages.
- search by date, region, and even reading level.