Back to the Top ^
Home    /    Instructional Design, Learning Technologies Innovation and Integration

Microlectures & Multimedia: Helpful Tips & Strategies

Submitted by on August 22, 2014 – 10:13 amNo Comment

MultimediaWe have updated our Multimedia Tips & Strategies tip sheet! See below for the updated information. You can also click here for a printable version of the tip sheet.

Helpful Tips & Strategies

The modern student is accustomed to multisensory, multimodal learning via technology. Computers, tablets, and smartphones relentlessly expose students to information, further reducing attention spans while encouraging a mixed-learning style approach to instruction. Well designed courses must employ enhanced multimedia instructional tools including webcam or whiteboard video, narrated slide presentations, screencasts, and animations.

  • Employ the 70/30 formula – if you are a comfortable, dynamic speaker be visible in video 70% of the time, with graphics/text the remaining 30%. If you are not as comfortable, reverse it.
  • To comply with ADA standards an uploaded transcription (or captions) are required, you can use Camtasia or other software to caption your video.
  • You can script your presentation (makes for easy transcript upload), but do not read from the script!
  • This is not a classroom lecture, so keep it brief: always under 10 minutes, best between 3-5.
  • It is possible to include a lot of information into a microlecture – keep it focused.
  • Video microlectures should primarily be high-level – key concepts and topical overviews.
  • Make it personal and entertaining! Would YOU want to watch this video?
  • Practice, practice, practice! It doesn’t have to be perfect, but your best!

Recording Tips

  • The recording space should be well lit. If using a webcam, make sure to have front lighting (opposite of you, with the webcam in between). Additionally, a second light source (such as a lamp) should be used to light your face.
  • The camera should be positioned to your direct line of sight, level with your eyes. Simulate eye contact by directing your attention to the camera.
  • All shots should be clearly focused and well-framed. Avoid distracting backgrounds.
  • Graphics, animations, and text must be clean, clear, and undistorted.
  • The audio should be good quality, and free from background noise, breaks, skips, hissing, etc.
  • Do not “date” your lecture – avoid mentioning any dates or specific current events.
  • Be yourself. Speak naturally, and address the camera as you would a friend – comfortable and casual.

Video #

Duration

Speak

Show

Other

1.

length of video

what you will say

graphics/text

props/etc.

2.

Etc.

For additional tips, log into Faculty eCommons and select these links:

Comments are closed.